Saturday, September 11, 2010

Imagine a World With Peace

Lots of those remembering those who died on 9-11 due to terrorists. I chose and planned out to visit the firestation who lost the most men....the firefighter who greeted me was kind enough to take a picture with me.  I also visited Ground Zero...I can't explain the urgency I had to visit.  I felt compelled to do more than just be there.   The pictures of Ground Zero stay with me...I remember vividly the incident of teetering on a sawhorse trying to look over the mesh fence to see what I could see of Ground Zero....only to be yelled at by a local police officer to get down.  There were flower bunches hanging on this fence, some new...some old....but people were leaving their thank you's and sympathy behind.  As I tried to move across the sawhorse to get down....a firetruck came barreling down the street, watching it get closer, I became mesmerized and overcome...freezing in my steps I watched as they turned the corner. A firefighter half hanging out the window with a look of despair on his face.  Our eyes met and I nodded to him...he nodded back and the truck turned the corner heading towards Ground Zero....to find more bodies of those lost. 
 
It was at that time I realized I was on Holy Ground...a cemetery of sorts and made my way off the sawhorse to the ground.  I think of that weekend often as it was the push I needed to move on....to do something and not become stagnate any longer in my life.  Since then, so much as changed in my life but once again, I feel the tug of What's Next.....I am making plans now to return to NYC next year.  It will be 10 years....10 years that some have been without their moms, their dads, their brothers, their sisters, their children, their friends....the memories of that day are etched into our minds...the pictures of the towers being hit and dropped....but the pictures we should be remembering are those who were lost and the good they left behind...

1 comment:

Ted D said...

Well said, Tex. Today is always a tough day; trying to keep moving on but never forgetting what happened that day.