Friday, December 29, 2006
1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.
New Year's Resolutions
Ok I have to say that I HATE New Year's Resolutions....not because I hate making them....I just hate keeping them. Something Always Gets in Your Way in keeping promises to yourself. For expedience, I am using an acronym to discuss them. Most NYR's get made cos of guilt self-induced by the preceding religious holiday. Examples could be:
I resolve to be nicer to my family.
I resolve to not curse in front of my kids.
I resolve not to drink.
I resolve not to get arrested.
I could go on and on...Failure to keep those resolutions typically are because The Resolver did not decide on a specific Course of Action...meaning A Plan. If you want to reach a goal, you need to follow some simple steps:
* write it down ... cos you'll forget it
* be specific...ya can't just say "I'm gonna lose weight" HOW MUCH??
* make sure it is attainable...i mean can YOU really lose 50 lbs in 1 month??
* make sure it is a goal YOU want to reach...meaning don't do it for someone else!!
* have a long range goal with short range goals.....so you feel like you ARE accomplishing something till you get to the Finish Line.
* Reward yourself...no one else will!
* have a friend who will encourage and support you...as well as make you accountable....cos you'll make excuses!
See you expected silliness from me today....but I was just thinking how I reached this goal of mine a few years back....only to let it go to the wayside and now I'm in the same position I was in then. So it's back to the drawing board for this ole' gal!
I refuse to call it a New Year's Resolution though. I'm making a New Life Statement!!
If you do that...you don't have to make New Year's Resolutions each year and break them.
Posted by Tex at 12:22 PM