Friday, March 06, 2009

What Really Matters: While the Boys Play Ball....Hearts are being Won

It's funny how a short quick story change your attitude in such a moment. Today I was feeling sad that I wasn't in Ft. Myers with my friends attending Spring Training...this is the 2nd year I've missed. I'm at my parents home this weekend...how they have lived in this FEMA trailer since October, I'll never know.....but I digress. So I'm sitting here watching the news when a short sweet story appears on ABC. It's this story about the construction going on at the Dana-Farber Cancer Center. Apparently, at some point, the workers begin connecting with the kids. As the Ironworkers of Union 7 are building floors and hoisting up the I-Beams to make new floors, they are spray-painting the names of the children. How do they know the names of the children you ask? It seems the children have this walkway that has walls which are windows...so the children have been coming to the window holding up signs with their names on it. Hence...the connections begin. Putting beams together to build a building that could build a future cure for cancer...I find it seemingly fitting. The names of these children will be there forever....within the confines of this new building...for wishes to the others who come to the hospital.















With this touching addition the guys are doing for the kids....the kids are the real heros...

4 comments:

Ted D said...

What a great story, Tex. You read and hear about all the crap that goes on in the world and just when you think there is no hope for any of us, a story like this comes along.

And PV's to Ma and Pa Tex.

Tex said...

thanks Ted. yah...was quite a nice story to listen to...was glad I found it in the newspaper too

Trot's Hat said...

When they first started doing that, the Dana Farber people made a pre-movie commercial thing out of it for fundraising purposes. I cried every time I saw it and the story still makes me cry now. Thanks for sharing!
And many PVs to your folks.

Tex said...

It made me cry. This living arrangements are temporary for my folks and they are so resilient.

We need reminders every so often to remember how good we have it