Sunday, May 02, 2010

Out with the Mold...In with the You


I was 'advised' to take down my profile pic on Facebook by a friend who said it wasn't appropriate and looked like a tramp stamp. Now I love this dear friend to death as we've been friends since 6th grade but it still hurt me that again....'the world' doesn't want us to really be ourselves.  I got on Facebook to have fun with my Red Sox buddies...next thing I know, I'm connecting with old high school friends.  I held my ground of the reason why I put it up there...it's baseball season and you're liable to see anything on my profile pic that I think will bring my team good luck. Today I put up my "Praying at the game" pic with my SG shirt on.  Now it wasn't because my friend suggested to remove my tat pic...it was because my team has been sucking loads lately.  So it got me to thinking this afternoon....if you were to have to select a 'mold' of yourself, could you pick one?  One single item that explained you...your life....your heart....your soul....Could you?  I'm throwing up this boot chocolate mold because I LOVE Cowboy Boots.  LOVE THEM. I only have two pairs...but I want way more.  I don't need tons of heels like most women...I want Boots and not the fancy 'copycat' 'wannabe' cowboy boots...I want the real thing.
  so then I had to figure out another one....the Running Horse....free spirit....strong....standing up to anything that comes it's way....and Running Hard to get to somewhere. Still not sure where but Running. 

I've been focusing on my goal of the company I work for to focus on being gender responsive with the girls we house in the juvenile facilities.  Society has tried to put females in a mold...in their place.  Problem is...I never listened.  I challenge all of you, female or male, to not put your life or yourself in a mold.  Be Yourself....Authentic Self.   
I love my dear friend still...and I'm over it...but it did cause me to think.


2 comments:

Ted D said...

I think it was Shakespeare who said "To thine own self be true". Or it coulda been Joe Maddon for all I know.

What I DO know is you are one of a kind and that is just fine with me.

Tex said...

:-D
Yah he did email me and say it was easier for some of us to be authentic...I think it took me a long time to finally give myself permission to be myself and I'm not stopping now