Sunday, April 19, 2009

Execution is a good thing


It's no coincidence that Beckett uses the term "execute" when discussion of his pitching status arises. Quite frankly, I can't think of any other word that better fits his personality knowing his other passion which involves a form of executing. I mean if anything tells you how much this Texas boy loves his hunting...this direct quote from Beckett back after he'd just won the 2003 World Series and MVP award will:

''Not to say that winning the world championship is not a big thing but like we just -- we don't have a game tomorrow,'' Beckett said Saturday. ''It's kind of a relief to go deer hunting now.''

Beckett won the 2002 Muy Grande in Texas which is an award for shooting the largest deer during the Texas hunting season. The 14-point buck that Beckett shot weighed 245 pounds.*picture from Josh's Herradura Ranch website.

JPB then went on to play for the Marlins in 2003 winning the WS MVP! He was on a roll...even then JPB was spouting off cocky sayings. In an article back then, his dad quoted one of Josh's favorite phrases "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. '' Or maybe Josh was talking about the deer? I dunno but I love me some Beckett and his attitude.

Back back to executions...some people think Beckett don't think he gives the batters enough credit for just being "that" good.

But it's like one of the Globe's readers and posters VAGrunt said to this fact in today's paper " If you remember back to the days of Pedro, when he did execute his pitches he was nearly unhittable. And Pedro knew that. If he gave up any hits, it was his mistake. Pedro once said "I'm a bad man." And you know what, everybody already knew it. So when I hear Beckett saying hits are due to his lack of execution, well I'm inclined to believe him. He's no Pedro but he comes as close as the Sox have had in some time"

WELL....I don't know about that LAST sentence...but I do think VA hits the ball on the seam executing my point exactly.

2 comments:

Ted D said...

Execution and Beckett do go sort of hand in hand. And I agree with VA; he's the closest to Pedro, both in stuff and attitude, we've had.

Tex said...

some poster was blabbing about all Beckett talks about his how he misses executions and gives no credit to the batters....but VA hits it hard and right.